Reporting to: Test Manager
SGB-SMIT POWER MATLA is looking for a suitably qualified team player to join the Pretoria West team in the role of Test Engineer. The person will be responsible for providing technical expertise to the Test Board for conducting Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) and diagnostic testing of power and industrial transformers and shunt reactor (units).
Key Responsibilities (but not limited to)
- Spearhead the SANAS re-accreditation of the Pretoria Test Bay
- Compile test procedures and method provisions for routine, type and special tests on power and industrial transformers as well as shunt reactors.
- Analyse test results and provide technical opinions
- Ensure test department systems are working in line with engineering requirements, customer requirements, local industry requirements and international industry requirements
- Maintain and monitor highly specialized measurement equipment
- Compile test equipment calibration standards and requirements in line with equipment manufacturer recommendations
- Support management in meeting and maintaining the technical requirements of the ISO17025 and IEC/SANS Standards
Qualifications and Experience
- Grade 12/N3
- BSc Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current) + 3 years related work experience OR MSc Electrical Engineering (Heavy Current) + 1 year related work experience (in power transformer manufacturing, design, testing or commissioning)
- At least 1-year of power transformer testing experience, in a technical role
- Thorough knowledge and application of local and international (IEC, BS, IEEE) power transformer performance standards
- Experienced in creating technical instructions, standards and bulletins
- Experienced in data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Excellent command of written and spoken English (especially technical English)
- A high level of computer literacy (a programming background will be advantageous)
- MS Office skills, intermediate to advanced especially in Word, Excel, Access and Power Point
- Able to use electrical and mathematical simulation software
- Able to use electrical equipment
- Detail oriented
- Deadline driven
- Able to function in a high stress environment
- Able to communicate theory and ideas across a variety of targets (test technicians, management, customers)
- Able to work independently and as part of a team
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Investigative and curious mind-set
- Successful candidate must be prepared to work overtime as and when required
Deadline: 14 January 2022
CV’s accompanied by a covering letter must be submitted to email address: firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title and applicant’s name in the subject line.
SGB-SMIT POWER MATLA is committed to fair and ethical recruitment practices to achieve sustainable inclusion and diversity without compromising on performance.
Assessments will be one of the methods utilised to determine the successful candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.